Saturday, March 24, 2012

Out with the OLD and in with the NEW

Saturday lunches are usually the time when I clean out the fridge and do something with the leftovers.  I need the space to store new groceries for the upcoming week, which I buy on Sundays.  Today, I had leftover penne pasta with sausages in marinara sauce (which my daughter did not really like because the sausages were a bit spicy) and some lemon-marinated chicken breasts.  I also had 4 ripe avocados...thanks to Alice for buying me 4 of them!  Originally, I asked Alice to buy me 1-2 small avocados for our soup last week.  She ended up buying me 4 unripe avocados.  And guess when they decide to ripen?  TODAY!


I eat leftovers all the time.  But after the 2nd time around, I like to make something else out of it.  It's still leftover, but in a different form.  I made my version of Chicken Tortilla Soup with Penne Pasta (recipe below-adapted from All Recipes).  And I made Guacamole with Tortilla Chips (store-bought chips, of course).  I can't tell you how I made my guacamole because I didn't write it down or really measure how much diced onions I used.  I could sit here and try to think about what I added, but that would require more time and lots of thinking.  But what I could tell you is that I looked at two recipes to come up with my version:  The Pioneer Woman and Budget Savvy Diva.  Both looked good, but wasn't quite what I wanted.  Maybe I'll type one up somewhere in the near future.  But in the meantime, you could enjoy my pictures!

Oh, and since I mentioned out with the OLD and in with the NEW, I bought a new toy for my kitchen today.  It's a 4-cup glass measuring cup!  :)
Guacamole with Tortilla Chips
Chicken Tortilla Soup with Penne Pasta
Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 c. chopped red onions
  • 1 garkic clove, minced
  • 1/8 c. white wine
  • 1 c. cooked chicken breast (shredded or diced)
  • 1/2 c. frozen whole-kernel corn
  • 1/2 tbsp. chopped, deseeded jalapeno pepper (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. chili powder (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 1 c. water
  • other ingredients I added today: diced potatos and diced zucchinis
Suggested Toppings:
  • tortilla strips
  • sour cream
  • chopped or sliced avocados
  • chopped cilantro
  • chopped green onions
  • shredded cheese
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in med-high heat.  Saute onions and garlic for about 2 minutes.
  2. Add the white wine and stir around a couple of times.  Then add the rest of the ingredients (except for the toppings)
  3. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  4. Ladle into bowsn and top with tortilla strips, sour cream, chopped cilantro, sliced avocados, or whatever else you have in hand.
  5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment