Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sweet Ginger Chicken (General Tso's Chicken)

The reason why this post has two names is because I got this recipe from My Name is Snickerdoodle. When I first made this chicken recipe, I was thinking of Empress of China (my old work place) and how their General Tso's chicken was dark brown, carmelized, sweet, and oh-so-yummy. But after making it for the first time, I realized that it was not even the same thing. Don't get me wrong...it was good. That's why I made it again! But I just felt that the name didn't fit. So I decided to call it Sweet Ginger Chicken. I modified it a bit from the original website that I got it from. I cut back on the sugar and increased the ginger & garlic portions. The second time around, I experimented with some chopped red onions. It was still delish!


I made this last night for my parents and my youngest brother, Phillip. They said it was good. So I guess my modifications weren't bad! :) Next time, I'll try dark meat. I might even try deep-frying it (that's what Empress of China does). Man, I miss that place!


Sweet Ginger Chicken

Sweet Ginger Chicken
(Adapted from My Name is Snickerdoodle)


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 2 tbsp. veg. oil+1 tsp. veg. oil
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 3 tbsp. water
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 1/4 c. pineapple juice
  • 1/4 c. rice wine vinegar (or regular vinegar)
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger powder
  • red pepper flakes (optional or save until the end)
  • 1/4 c. chopped red onions (optional)
  • 1 tsp. chopped green onions
Directions:
  1. Cut chicken into 1" pieces (or any size you'd like).
  2. Place the flour and the cut chicken into a large zip-lock bag, seal, and shake to completely coat the chicken.
  3. Cook chicken pieces in 2 tbsp. oil over med-high heat until browned.
  4. Meanwhile, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
  5. Slowly whisk in water, soy sauce, pineapple juice, and vinegar. Mix well.
  6. Stir in garlic, garlic powder, ginger, and ginger powder. Cook until thick and bubbly. (Turn heat down to keep warm.)
  7. You could add red pepper flakes now or save until the very end (just before serving).
  8. When the chicken is cooked and browned (7-8 minutes), drain onto a paper towel.
  9. In the same pan, heat 1 tsp. oil. Cook the chopped red onions until fragrant and translucent (4-5 minutes).
  10. Add the chicken pieces back into the pan. Stir around a few times to coat the chicken with onion.
  11. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook for another minute.
  12. Place chicken into a plate and sprinkle with chopped green onions. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment