Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sausage and Cheese Biscuit Muffins

Remember when I made the Garlic Parmesan Monkey Bread because my biscuits were expiring?  Guess what I found this morning when I looked in the fridge?  Another can of Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers-Original that expires TODAY!  So I decided to make Sausage & Cheese Biscuit Muffins. 

I first saw this recipe on Cooking with my Kids and made it for my first grade team last Wednesday for our weekly morning meeting at school.  It was a big hit, and everyone loved it.  I didn't use bacon, though (it was still frozen).  I didn't have time to cook it.  I cooked up some breakfast sausages (the night before, of course) to crumble into the muffin tins.  And since I had a lot of breakfast sausages left, I had to use that up.  I also had some chicken left, so I made 8 chicken, cheese, and chives biscuit muffins.  YES, I still had chicken leftover (even though I made Chicken Tortilla Soup with Penne Pasta yesterday for lunch. 

Did I mention that when I cook, I cook a lot?  Alice and I love to cook and bake.  She only has 2 adults in her household, and I have 2 adults plus 1 1/2 children.  But we both somehow end up cooking enough food to feed an army...not just one time...or two time...but ALL.THE.TIME.  It's ridiculous.  You would think we learned from our mistakes, but nope.  We're just two crazy people who love to cook.  Her husband doesn't really like to eat leftovers. My husband doesn't mind leftovers, but would prefer beer.  I end up eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Sometimes, I drop some food off for my parents and youngest brother Phillip.  Sometimes I invite them over.  Sometimes Alice and Soto comes over.  Sometimes I go to their house to eat.  And on rare occasion, the leftovers go into the trash.  :(

Ok, so that was my blurb about cooking too much all the time.  Back to my muffins...Today, I made some with breakfast sausage & cheese and some with chicken, cheese, & chives.  Some of the muffins even have a small piece of regular sausage in it.  I don't remember which one, but it'll be a suprise when I bite into it!  :)  I used the Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers-Original 8-ct. (16.5 oz. cans).  It has to be flaky layers or else you can't split them.  I took each biscuit and split them into 3 more layers (giving me 24 pieces of biscuit).  That was enough to fill 24 regular muffin cups.  I wasn't kidding when I said I always make a lot.  I'll be giving some away, eating some for breakfast this week, and maybe freezing some?  We'll see.

This recipe is easy to make.  It just takes time.  After splitting the layers, stretch out each piece and put them into the pre-sprayed muffin cups to create a biscuit cup.  Fill it with shredded cheese, your meat preference, more cheese, and the egg mixture.  Don't fill the muffin cups too much with the egg mixture or it'll overflow (since the egg puffs up and expands).  When you're finished filling, bake it until it is golden brown and enjoy warm.  You see my pretty biscuit muffins below?  YUM!

24 biscuit muffins

You could try stuffing the muffins with chopped ham or turkey.  Or you could make it vegetarian using cooked spinach, broccoli, zucchini, or whatever ingredients your heart desires.  I think I will try ham and spinach or ham and mushrooms next time.  This is very similar to the quiche I make.  But instead of using canned biscuits for the shell, I buy the pre-made flaky shells found in the frozen section.  I'll save that for another day!
  




Sausage and Cheese Biscuit Muffins
Sausage and Cheese Biscuit Muffins
(Adapted from Cooking with my Kids)

Makes 24 regular muffins

Ingredients:

  • 1 can Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers-Original 10 ct. (16.5 oz)
  • 8 eggs
  • 8 tbsp. milk
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • salt & pepper
  • shredded cheese
Directions:
  1. Cook the sausages and drain (or veg). (You could precook the night before and store it in the fridge).
  2. Preheat the oven to 400 and spray muffin pans with cooking spray.
  3. Whisk the eggs, milk, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper together and set aside.
  4. Split each biscuit into 3 layers (to make 24). 
  5. Stretch out each piece to cover the muffin cups.  Gently push it down and around the sides.
  6. Sprinkle the muffin cups with a tiny bit of shredded cheese.
  7. Then fill the muffin cups with the cooked meat (or veg).
  8. Top with more shredded cheese.
  9. Scoop the egg mixture evenly into all of the muffin cups.  Don't overfill the cups. (I start off with 1 tbsp. per cups until all are filled.  Then I go back and add a little more until my eggs are gone).
  10. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and the eggs are set.  Enjoy warm!


Just for Laughs:
Me:  (Taking my Canon out to take this picture.)  "What?!  This is my new hobby."
Hubby:  "Oooo.  I'm a blogger now.  I'm taking pictures." (in a moking tone)
Me:  "Very funny."

1 comment:

  1. LMAO at your "funny". Spinach and mushroom breakfast muffin?? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete