Thursday, April 5, 2012

Creamy Sausage Casserole with Biscuits


Today was the Volunteer Breakfast at our school, Parkview Elementary, so I decided to make this Creamy Sausage Casserole with Biscuits from Pillsbury.  I've never made this before, so I was very hesitant about it.  I read the recipe over and over and over again...something that I usually do when I come across a new recipe.  Why? (you ask...) Because when I read a new recipe, I imagine that I am actually cooking it according to the instructions.  I imagine how it looks and the outcome.  Then I judge the recipe accordingly to see if I want to try it out or not.


When I read this recipe, I was very skeptical about the gravy part.  I've never had a breakfast casserole with gravy before.  Another thing I was unsure about was the egg part.  When I've made casseroles in the past, it usually calls for uncooked eggs, which you bake.  Well, in this recipe, it says to cook the eggs on the stove "until firm but still moist".  WHAT IN THE WORLD DOES THAT MEAN?  My mindset was still stuck on uncooked eggs.  Then I come across "firm but still moist"?!  I'm thinking about scrambled eggs and how people sometimes like to eat it runny.  Hmm...to cook or not to cook...I was indecisive.


So the next thing I did was read the reviews, which is something I do often when I come across a new recipe.  Everyone had good things to say about it.  But I didn't see any posts about scrambling the eggs.  "OH WELL!", I thought.  "I'll just try it out.  If it turns out bad, then I won't tell people I made it.  Plus, it's for the volunteers anyway."  hehehe jk.  I wouldn't do that.  If it turned out bad, then I would have bought some donuts.  :)  I made a large tray for the breakfast and a couple small samples for me to try. 


I did make adjustments to the recipe (like I always do).  I omitted the mushrooms and bacon.  I cooked the sausages and gravy part the night before so it's less work for me in the morning.  I also added other ingredients.  I don't know why, but I can never follow a recipe EXACTLY to the T!  I guess that's just ME!


The outcome:  It was delicious, and I had people asking for the recipe.  I think next time, I'll add more garlic powder, salt, and bacon!  YUM!  BACON!  (I could eat an entire package alone).....


Creamy Sausage Casserole with Biscuits
Creamy Sausage Casserole with Biscuits
(Adapted from Pillsbury)


Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg. breakfast sausage (any flavor/brand)
  • 8 tbsp. butter (divided-6 tbsp. & 2 tbsp.)
  • 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 4 c. milk
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 3/4 tsp. salt (divided-1/2 tsp. & 1/4 tsp.)
  • 12 eggs
  • 1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 can (12 oz.) Pillsbury Grands! Golden Layers refrigerated biscuits
  •  


Directions:
    1. Heat oven to 350°F.  Lightly grease 9"x13" glass baking dish.
    2. Cook sausages in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until browned and cooked.  Remove from heat and drain out the fat.  Set aside.
    3. In same saucepan, melt 6 tbsp. butter.  Add flour and stir with wire whisk until smooth.  Cook over low heat for 1 minute.  Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
    4. Add cooked sausages, black pepper, & 1/4 tsp. salt.  Mix well, and set aside.
    5. In large bowl, beat eggs, evaporated milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, and garlic powder with wire whisk until well blended.  Set aside.
    6. Melt remaining 2 tbsp. butter in large skillet over medium heat.  Add egg mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until firm but moist.  (Think of runny scrambled eggs.)
    7. Pour 1/2 of sausage gravy into greased baking dish.  Top with egg mixture.  Then pour the remaining gravy on top of the eggs.
    8. Separate dough and cut into quarters (or smaller).  Place biscuit pieces over sauce with the pointy side up.
    9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until mixture is heated and the biscuits are golden brown.  (If you think your casserole is a bit runny, then cover it with foil and bake a little longer.)


2 comments: